Thursday 10 January 2013

My personal and professional resolutions for the year (minus a few days)


My New Year resolutions - better late than never I suppose.
To be completed outside my normal 9 to 5 work time, unless it is work related of course.

Personal
  • Spend time with family.
  • Do 10km runs & walk to/from work - at least 2,000 calories per week on this alone.
  • See Notts County at least twice.
  • Go camping twice in the year, and climb some mountains at least four times.

Professional
  • Stay up-to-date with what is being talked about in social media (e.g. twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
  • Observe and [try to] understand what is being talked about by experts in the following fields :-
    • Statistics
    • Visualising data
    • Big data
    • Cloud computing
    • Smartphone technology.
  • Share useful information with others.
  • Keep a blog of my own case studies in statistics.
  • Give at least one presentation on statistics to an external audience.






Here is a great presentation:
(maybe you saw it when it came out but I thought I would share it anyway):

Hans Rosling's 200 countries, 200 years, 4 minutes (www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo)






If you like what I talk about then:

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IDMorton001

Connect with me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/idmorton

See my Presentations on SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/IDMorton001

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,
    I came to your blog through analyticbridge.com. How are you doing with your resolutions? By the way the video of 200 years of growth is awesome. Write more articles on stats analysis, and when you please also describe / provide links for terms.
    Cheers,
    Amit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amit,

      Thanks for your comment and glad you liked the Hans Rosling video. Your comment prompted me to do my mid-year review.

      All the best,
      Ian

      Delete
  2. A mid-year review of my resolutions:

    Personal
    * Just been on holiday and spending good time with family;
    * Lost 4kg in weight this year but just been on holiday and put 2kg back on (net loss 2kg);
    * Been to watch football once this year - that was enough ! ; and
    * Been camping once and went up some small hills with family in the English Lake District.

    Professional
    * Been busy finalising a journal article on propensity score matching so not had much time for anything else;
    * Still putting entries onto my blog when I can, and sharing useful information on analysis and statistics; and
    * Not done an external presentation yet this year.

    ReplyDelete